Snoop Puppy Pup!!

Snoop Puppy Pup!!

Wednesday, November 28

Teddy Bear Blasphemy??

Those of you that know me well, are aware that I am a teddy bear fanatic. I have been collecting them for years and years and love them to this day! When I first got Cole, the first toy that I gave him was a tiny stuffed teddy bear. When I found that bear chewed and torn beyond recognition I actually teared up. Imagine my surprise when I was out surfing today and found this article. The title: Sudan charges teacher for teddy bear name


For your reading enjoyment: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071128/ap_on_re_mi_ea/sudan_british_teacher


In reading the article, a British woman was teaching 7 year olds in the Sudan and she bought a teddy bear into school. She had the children suggest and vote on a name for the bear and wound up naming it Muhammad which is a very common name among Muslim men and is also the name of the prophet. One of the things that she had the children in her class do was take the bear home for weekends and write about their time with the bear. This is a normal elementary school activity. Apparently parents took offense The apparent offense is being referred to as a "act of misconduct against the Islamic faith". If found guilty of the charges she will receive: 40 lashes, six months in prison and a fine. No where did the article talk about the teacher naming the bear or the name being placed anywhere on the bear.

I really can't imagine being a teacher who is working in a foreign country and being prosecuted for an what seems to be harmless activity for your class to participate in. Just seems so sad.